Registration of carriers and brokers

Information on how to register as a carrier or broker of waste with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency.

The Controlled Waste (Registration of Carriers and Seizure of Vehicles) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1999 place a legal requirement on companies or individuals who transport all categories of controlled waste, to apply for registration with us.

It is a criminal offence to transport waste without being registered with us that carries a maximum fine of £5,000.

What is controlled waste?

Controlled waste is household, commercial or industrial waste. It may be solid or liquid.

How do I register as a waste carrier?

You should apply to register with the Registration of carrier section.

An application for a lower tier waste carrier is free of charge.

The fees in respect of a new upper tier waste carrier application and an upper tier waste carrier renewal application are currently £152 and £76 respectively, in accordance with Annex B, Table 2 of the 'Fees and Charges of Waste Management Licensing' document.

To obtain an application form please contact: 

or download using the below links


Apply Online

You can also use the Apply Online facility via the below links:




Back to top