Registered waste carriers / transporters

If you transport controlled waste, or as a broker arrange the transport of controlled waste, you need to be registered with us. If you are not registered you could be committing a criminal offence and be fined up to £5,000 unless you are exempt from registration.

Public register


A Carrier

People and businesses who transport, dispose, buy or sell controlled waste or arrange for others to do so on their behalf, basically covering any waste in a commercial vehicle.

A Broker

An establishment or undertaking which acts as a broker has control of waste in the sense that it arranges for the disposal or recovery on behalf of another and is outside the chain of people who already handle the waste (i.e. producer, holder, carrier, recovery operator, or disposal operator).

Controlled waste is defined as all liquid waste, and any waste that cannot be disposed as a Class I, II or III landfill site. Controlled Waste also includes asbestos, construction and demolition, clinical or related waste, tyres and waste that has been immobilised or encapsulated.

To determine whether or not you are exempt from registration please see 2 (1) of the Controlled Waste (Registration of Carriers and Seizure of Vehicles) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1999.

Additional information

If you require further information please contact:

Back to top