You can apply to export live animals including horses, cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry and hatching eggs following the instructions below. Here you will find guidance and templates to help you make your application.

Before you start

Some templates are only available to Certifying Veterinary Officers and are password protected. The DAERA password was issued in an email on the 7 October 2021. If you require the password, please contact the mailbox and include your RCVS membership number so that we can verify your MRCVS status to prevent unauthorised access to certification paperwork.

TRACESNT Journey Logs

The removal of TRACES Classic on 6th November means that all intra-EU export animal health certificates must now be delivered via TRACES NT. This includes creating an electronic journey log where required. Please note that a Journey Log is only required for long journeys over 8 hours between Member States and for third countries for cattle, sheep, pigs, goats and unregistered horses. It is not required for journeys within the UK e.g. NI to GB. Further information on Journey Logs may be found at the following pages, linked below;

Animal Specific Links & Guidance

There is animal specific guidance for the export of live animals from NI to GB and EU Member States, available via the links below:

If you are unable to find relevant supporting documents or guidance (for infrequently used export health certificates to EU Member States) please contact

Exporting to Great Britain (cattle and sheep only)

If you are exporting cattle or sheep to Great Britain (GB) you should make your application to your Authorised Veterinary Practitioner (aPVP) and they will progress this export for you.

If you are exporting any other category you should make your application online via the DECOL system (see section below).

    Exporting to a European Union (EU) Member State

    Exports of live animals to the EU are presently progressed through the TRACES system. From 11 October 2021 a new system known as TRACES NT will be implemented for these type of exports.

    If you are exporting any live animal(s) you should make your application for an Intra Trade Animal Health Certificate ITAHC via completing the TRACES application form and submitting it to your Authorised Private Veterinary Practitioner (aPVP) and they will progress this export for you.

    Exporting to GB (excluding cattle and sheep) and countries outside the EU

    In order to begin your application on the DAERA Export Certification Online system (DECOL) you will need to have completed the export health certificate (EHC) application and have any supporting documents ready for upload.

    You can obtain the EHC application via the Defra form finder. Guidance on using the tool is available in the DECOL exporter’s instructions at the link below:

    If you need digital help to complete an application for an Export Health Certificate (EHC) please contact your regional DAERA Direct Office for assistance.

    If there is insufficient space on the EHC application to record full product details you need to complete a schedule and submit this with your application. The schedule and instructions for completion are available using the link below:

    Exporters should review the Notes for Guidance for each certificate (available via the Defra Form Finder) to ascertain if import permits or importing authority approvals are also required. Where they are these should be obtained from the importing authorities prior to applying for an EHC and uploaded along with all other application documents via DECOL.

    Nomination of Certifying Veterinarian (Authorised Private Veterinary Practitioner (aPVP))

    Exporters should complete a nominate Authorised Veterinary Practitioner (aPVP) template and submit this with their application. All export documentation will be issued directly to the nominated aPVP once we have processed the application.

    Finding an aPVP

    If you require the services of an aPVP for export certification purposes please use the A-Z list of Northern Ireland Veterinary Practices which have aPVPs associated with their practices. You should contact your preferred practice(s) and discuss with them directly your certification requirements.

    Start your Export Health Certificate Application

    Back to top