The following rules apply to the export of zoo animals. They also apply to the export of certain animal species considered to be exotic, for example llamas, alpacas and certain captive birds. The requirements for export will vary depending on the destination.
Before you start
Exports to European Union (EU) Member States
To obtain an Intra Trade Animal Health Certificate (ITAHC) to export other animals, as detailed below, to an EU Member State, please complete the application form within the following links and submit it to your local aPVP. The following links provide useful information on the export of specific other animal groups to EU Member States and have been completed to take account of the Animal Health Law Regulations for EU Trade.
Exporting to GB and countries outside the EU
You can obtain the EHC application via the Defra form finder. Guidance on using the tool is available in the DECOL exporter’s instructions at the link below:
If you need digital help to complete an application for an Export Health Certificate (EHC) please contact your regional DAERA Direct Office for assistance.
If there is insufficient space on the EHC application to record full product details you need to complete a schedule and submit this with your application. The schedule and instructions for completion are available using the link below:
You should review the Notes for Guidance (NFG) for each certificate (available via the Defra Form Finder) to ascertain if import permits or importing authority approvals are also required. Where they are these should be obtained from the importing authorities prior to applying for an EHC and uploaded along with all other application documents via DECOL.
The NFG may also advise you need to complete an Owner/exporter declaration. Where one is needed template declaration is available at the link below:
If you need further assistance completing your declaration please contact your DAERA Regional office for assistance.
- DAERA Premises List
- DAERA Stakeholder Bulletins
- DECOL Guidance
- Export Certification for Bovine Germplasm, including Semen, Oocytes and Embryos, to EU Member States
- Export Health Certificates (EHCs) not available on Form Finder
- Export of porcine semen to EU
- Exporting animals and animal products from Northern Ireland to a Third Country (DECOL)
- Exporting Food Products of Animal Origin and Animal By Products to GB for later onward export to EU/NI from GB (SHA Online)
- FAQ Movement of Product of Animal Origin (POAO) to and from GB and for onward export V2
- Further information on equine movements to GB, ROI, exports to EU Member States and Third Countries
- Milk and milk products Q & A
- UK Certification Schemes