Data Controller Name
- Animal Disease Control and Trade Policy Branch (ADCTPB), DAERA
- Ballykelly House, 111 Ballykelly Road, Ballykelly, Limavady, BT49 9HP
- Telephone: 028 774 42106
- Email: ADCTPB@daera-ni.gov.uk
DAERA Data Protection Officer (DPO)
Telephone: 028 9052 4316
Why are you processing my personal information?
Under the Avian Influenza (Preventative Measures) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2007 bird keepers are required to register their birds. The information supplied will be used by the Department to provide bird keepers with up-to-date information about exotic avian disease and measures to take to prevent spread of the disease to their birds. It will also be used to help DAERA carry out risk assessments.
The Department takes data protection, freedom of information and environmental information issues seriously. It takes care to ensure that any personal information received from you is dealt with in a way which complies with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulations (2016) and Data Protection Act (2018). This means that any personal information you supply will be processed principally for the purpose for which it has been provided.
However, the Department is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided for this purpose. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for the audit or administration of public funds, in order to prevent and detect crime.
In addition, the Department may also use it for other legitimate purposes in line with the General Data Protection Regulations, Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Environmental Information Regulations 2004.
- administration of the Common Agricultural Policy and other aid schemes
- administration of the Common Fisheries Policy
- the production and safety of food
- management of land and other environmental controls
- animal health and welfare
- statutory schemes and obligations in the areas of plant health and crop certification
- occupational health and welfare
- regulatory and natural resources policy
- environmental policy
- legislation relating to the Northern Ireland Environmental Agency
- the prevention and detection of fraud or maladministration (e.g. The Comptroller & Auditor General and HM Revenue & Customs)
- compilation of statistics
- disclosure to other organisations when required by law to do so
- disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 where such disclosure is in the public interest
- administration of UK wide schemes on behalf of the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs in Great Britain
- business development and knowledge advisory service for farmers, growers and food processors
- for corresponding with you in connection with the above activities
Where do you get my personal data from?
Data will be collected when bird keepers register their flocks under The Avian Influenza (Preventive Measures) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2007. Bird registration forms are found on the DAERA website. Data required is as follows:
- Name and address
- Phone number / Mobile number / Email
- NIPHAS number / Egg marketing code
- Herd number (cattle), Holding number (pigs), Flock number (sheep / goats) – if applicable
- Business Identifier
- IACS (Client Reference) Number
- Numbers, types and uses of birds kept
- Husbandry system
- Organisation/Bird club to which affiliated
Full registration forms are held by the Bird Registration Section, DAERA Customer Service Branch Academy House, Ballymena.
Name, address and flock number will be held electronically within Animal Disease Control and Trade Policy Branch (ADCTPB). This data will also be maintained and updated with any information you subsequently share with us in order to ensure your data is factual, accurate and up-to date.
Do you share my personal data with anyone else?
Data sharing takes place for legitimate reasons, to support the business purposes for which it was supplied.
If we need to share your personal data, it will be done so under contract which will require the processor to protect the data and act only in regard to DAERA business purposes.
Data may be shared with the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) in GB, the Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine (DAFM) in ROI and the Welsh and Scottish governments, for the purpose of UK disease surveillance. Data may also be shared with clubs/organisations to which you have told us you are affiliated to allow them to plan for, and continue to operate during a possible disease outbreak situation.
Your data will not be shared with third countries or territories around the world.
How long do you keep my personal data?
We will retain your data until you inform the Department that you are no longer a bird keeper. Your data will be kept in line with our Retention and Disposal Schedule.
What rights do I have?
The right to be informed The right of access
The right to rectification The right to erasure
The right to restrict processing The right to data portability
The right to object Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
Should you require any further information on your rights in relation to the data we collect or process, please contact the DAERA Data Protection Officer in the first instance.
How do I complain if I am not happy?
If you are unhappy with any aspect of this privacy statement, or how your personal information is being processed, please contact DAERA Data Protection Officer at:
Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs
111 Ballykelly Road
Telephone: 028 9052 4316
If you are still not happy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO):